Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Books, Books, Books!!!

I love Books!  Do you love books?  I always have a book I am reading.  I carry a book with me wherever I go...you never know when I might be sitting somewhere waiting for someone or something and have a few minutes to catch a few more pages.  Some might say that I am escaping reality a bit and they might be right...who cares?!   
A couple years ago, I started to write down all the books I read.  If you are anything like me, I forget what I have read and what a book was about (I call it "mommy memory").  Once I start a new one I forget a lot of the details of the last one only because I get so in the next.  Because of my "mommy memory" I started keeping a little journal where I write down the books I have completed, the author and a brief summary of the plot.  This helps...a lot.  I also started using a great website called goodreads.com...I highly recommend it...helps keep track of book you have read, books you want to read and books you are currently reading, and recommends great new books to read.  You can also link up through facebook, find your friends and send out your own recommendations, do your own review of a book, and set reading goals.  I am happy to say through goodreads.com I set a reading goal of 15 books for 2011...I just completed my goal!  This seems quite exciting to me as I have 3 kiddos and love to watch tv...this can cause issues with getting books completed but I did it!  Yea me!
   
Here is my most recent favorite...I just finished this book today...A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff. You can check out my other recent books (some good, some bad) with the little widget on the right side of my blog...just scroll down a bit and you will see it...maybe they will be one of your favorites.  You can read about it here and then maybe sign up for your own Goodreads account.  It's so worth it! 

I also must say that I LOVE the library.  This has been an acquired love...I used to love Barnes&Noble but when things got a bit tough financially for our family I couldn't afford to buy books like I used to.  I knew I still needed/wanted to read so I had to use the library.  Thank goodness for the establishment of libraries!  I still go to B&N but for a whole different reason (to their dismay)...I go there when I need to run away (all you moms understand this), get my Starbucks Venti Skinny Caramel Machiatto, grab my notebook out of my bag and browse.  When I find a book I want to read I write it down along with the authors name.  I run home, check the library's online catalog and find out whether they have the book and grab it up if they do!  It's like finding a treasure!  The other great thing about the library...books are due by a specific time...you must get them done an turn them back in.  If you have too have kiddos and like to watch tv, this due date can be very motivational. 
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! 

So the kiddos and I are headed to the library in just a bit with my Mom In Law (cookies, milk and tea to follow at Baba's!).  This makes for a good day...I have 3 kiddos who love to read nearly as much as I and love to get new books.  Off we go...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What books do you like to read? I have a few giveaways on my blog. http://bookgardenreviews.blogspot.com/

I like your site and am following you
Isabella